Episode 115, recorded on Tuesday 30th August 2016. We discuss the MWLUG 2016 conference, the future of IBM Domino and xPages development, what Project Toscana means for all of us, and the IDC announcement that IBM leads the Social Business marketplace for the 7th consecutive year. Oh and on our final TWiL ever, we share an exciting announcement – WTF?
|Jesse Gallagher (blog | twitter) is CTO at I Know Some Guys and a second-generation Domino developer. He is on the board at OpenNTF and blogs semi-regularly at frostillic.us.|
- Just a one off, as we were all at MWLUG
- TWiL archives coming back online on a brand new site… Relive the glory days at thisweekinlotus.com! Up to episode 74 now, remainder to come very soon
Introducing Jesse (0:02:17)
- Frostillicus – a Simpsons reference
- Asimov – Second Foundation
- ‘Gidgerby’ – loosely related to World of Warcraft
- Overall feel and vibe of the conference
- General discussion of event organisation
- Special cause
- Katrina Troughton‘s keynote
Future of IBM Notes & Domino? (0:30:39)
- Fix pack versus 9.0.2
- History of previous point releases (Darren’s September 2015 post)
- Darren’s blog post
- Ed Brill‘s comment:
To comment on the support point specifically, in the next few weeks we will announce formally that support for 9.0.x will be extended to 2021. It doesn’t depend on a version update. And as you note, things originally expected in 9.0.2 are going to come in what are currently called fixpacks. I haven’t decided what to call the update with Verse on Premises yet.
- Ed Brill‘s comment:
- Continuing to wait for the IBM’s Fall statement…
- Blog posts – from concern to (slightly more) confidence?
- Quo vadis, IBM?
- IBM Domino App Dev Hits the Headlines
- Domino 9.0.1 and beyond
- My five cents on the Domino-and-its-future debate
- The Actual Facts on the Future of IBM Notes Domino and XPages
- Change Is In The Air (Jesse’s post)
- IBM Domino to be or not to be
- *** (BEARBEITET) ED BRILL: SUPPORT VON IBM NOTES/DOMINO BIS 2021
- Many fixpacks=New release ??? (IBM/Domino 9.0.2)
- Java 8 in 9.0.1FP7? Not likely.
App Dev and app modernisation (0:40:14)
- What’s the latest?
- Partners seem to be rushing to develop migration tools?
- PSC and LDC Via agreement
- Where do developers and partners go from here?
- The role of OpenNTF
More clarity on Project Toscana (0:52:48)
- Session by Marlon Machado
- Late to market – apps like Slack, Hipchat, Chime etc have a major head start
- Has to offer major advance over incumbents to justify change. Cognitive might be some of that, but others are doing machine learning and assistance as well
- IBMers are using Slack. Could cognitive/Watson not be IBMs value add to Slack versus insisting on a brand new platform?
IBM partnering with key competitive collaboration SaaS vendors (1:06:43)
- IDC rates IBM as ESN leaders for 7th year (1:09:31)
- Inhi’s blog post announcing the news
- Platform support changes
- IBM dropping SUSE linux?
- i and p now market-driven platforms?
Darren: Universal Remote for iPhone and Android….will be some good once it works
Stuart: Yet another headset! Plantronics Voyager Focus headset Great for desk and mobile use, pairs with USB, dongle and at least two bluetooth devices. I use with iPhone, iPad Pro and iMac. 10 hour battery life and very light. Also, TWiL archives are (mostly) back…
Listen to the show!
UPDATE: the new podcast is ‘WTF Tech’ and is available to stream or download at WTFTech.fm. Listen now!