Episode 65, recorded on 18th August 2011, discussing quality at IBM, Lotus Protector 2.8, OpenNTF, IBM’s support for older releases and more…
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
|Flemming Christensen (blog | twitter | company | linkedin) is the chief quality architect for IBM Collaboration Solutions responsible for the process by which new releases commit to quality improvements and measure attainment.|
|Bruce Elgort (blog | twitter | company ) is the Chairman of OpenNTF, Inc., an IBM Champion and also Adviser at Elguji Software, LLC.|
|Niklas Heidloff (blog | twitter | OpenNTF blog) is is an architect in the IBM Lotus Domino development team and leads IBM’s engagement in OpenNTF including XPages.info.|
|Sean Brown (blog | twitter | company | linkedin) is the Product Manager for IBM Lotus Protector, and responsible for all collaboration security solutions including Lotus Protector for Mail Security and Mail Encryption|
Quality at IBM
- What is quality?
- How do you manage that (i.e. quality as just discussed)?
- How do IBM avoid regression bugs, particularly in very large mature products?
- How do you measure for LotusLive? Is that any different than what you do for on-premises software?
- How do you strike the balance between quality and timeliness?
- IBM releases to OpenNTF – mobile toolkit, extension library etc. Are they under same Quality controls?
- How do you measure whether you’re getting better?
New release of Lotus Protector
- What is Lotus Protector and what does Collaboration Security mean?
- Lotus Protector for Mail Security 2.8
- Protecting your organization with new Data Loss Prevention for files and emails
- Support for IBM Connections and Lotus Quickr (for Websphere Portal)
- New licensing models to better match to customer needs
- What to expect next
- When will we get “sidecar”for Domino and QuickrD?
- Branding still Lotus?
- Now a Not for Profit organisation
- What’s the rationale?
- What will it mean?
- Why should organisationss become OpenNTF members?
- Can we hear about some highlights from past few months of contributions?
- http://contest.openntf.org and http://xpages.info/contest
- 46 submissions with >50 controls (one more day to submit)
- 13 first time contributors
- Some contest controls (not prioritized): JavaCharts, View Picklist, Involve, Multi Database Search, Recaptcha, ZK Spreadsheet, Calendar plan, Asynch Files Upload, Select Database, Poll, Search and TagCloud, MySQL
- Next week judging, shortly after this announcement of winners
- Next: import in Designer, out of the box controls
- 17k downloads last month (compared to ~8k when IBM got engaged end of 2008)
- 300k page visits per month
- 50 new releases (41 non IBM, 9 IBM) in June
- > 100 approved OpenNTF contributors plus CCLAs from IBM and Group
- IBM contributions
- Latest: REST APIs, JDBC, servlet sample
- Soon: Mobile, social, surprise
- New model/taking back code in product
- Videos: http://xpages.info/videos
- XPages blog: http://xpages.info/blog
- Japanese demos: http://xpages.info/demosjapan
- 300 – 500 visitors per day
- Why the change?
- What does it mean for customers?
- Won’t this hinder motivation to upgrade?
- What will the cost be to maintain these additional versions?
Domino Danderers Dander for Dosh 2011
- Eileen & Steve walking 26 miles for Dadaab refugee camp. Please donate!
CDBurnerXP – use it to burn ISOs and files to CD, DVD, BRD and HD-DVD(!). Also works on x64 Win7 and 2008. Oh, and completely free and completely free of adware and other nasties.
IBM Electronic Support has its own Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/IBMElectronicSupport and Lotus Support has a new Facebook page: ‘Like’us at http://www.facebook.com/#!/IBMLotusSupport and follow us on Twitter with ID @Lotus_Support 🙂
Bruce: – XPages101 – XPages Video series with over 50+ video tutorials
XPages.info/contest to see descriptions, screenshots and videos of all controls of the contest.
Drag/Drop emails to your desktop with Notes. If you need to send an email in it’s original format (non-forwarded) you can drag the message right from your Notes inbox to your desktop and then attach it to a new email.
Lotusphere 2011 videos posted to YouTube
Thanks for listening! Buy a Sonos – This Week in Lotus will sound even better!!!