Recorded on Wednesday 4th April 2012. Mat Newman joins us to review AusLUG 2012, and to discuss how we can reach those Lotus and ICS advocates and users that are not part of the community today.
Mat Newman (blog | twitter | company) is the Director of Education for ISW, an IBM Premier business partner in Australia, who recently won both IBM ICS and IBM Websphere ANZ Business partner of the year awards. ISW are also the folks behind WildFire! and Kudos Badges. An IBM Notes user since 1992, Mat is an IBM Champion for Collaboration Solutions, owner of the coolest YELLOW suit around, who by day educates Users, Administrators and Developers on IBM Software and spends his spare time keeping a bunch of people amused while they organise AusLUG.
AUSLUG is done
- Was it easier or harder 2nd time around?
- Biggest LUG in the world? (350 registrations)
So why do you do it?
- the team behind AusLUG: Adrian Randall, Barry Sanders, John Stockbridge, Karen Hooper, Michael Little, Scott Beattie, Steve Hooper, Terry Boyd and Tony McPhail are all very single minded in this: We want to reach out to as many people as possible and provide an excellent opportunity for them to improve their skills and gain a better understanding of the technology they work with.
- What’s this about the ‘bubble’?
- Is our world really as small as 300 bloggers and maybe 1000 readers?
- So how do we reach those outside the bubble?
- Are LUGs the primary route, or are online activities like LinkedIn groups, Connections communities, Greenhouse, Facebook, Twitter etc as important?
- Is the community still Notes/Domino focused, or are products like Connections and Quickr becoming more key?
- How do we get more ‘outsiders’to have and use their voices?
Where do you go for AusLUG 2013?
- Right double click in iNotes closes the current tab. At least in 8.5.3…..
- Sametime clients for mobile devices – check out QuipIM?
- Shock horror, an IBM tip! IBM Sametime Video Chat Plug-in for IBM Connections Technology Preview
- And new release of Kudos Badges, 1.3. It rocks.