Recorded on Friday 23rd March 2012. Simon Vaughan, Mac Guidera and Baan Slavens join Darren and I to talk Connections – roll out of a new release at Cardiff University, futures for the mobile apps, fix pack one for 3.0.1 and even Windows Explorer access to your Connections files.
Simon Vaughan (twitter) is Deputy IT Director at Cardiff University and an IBM champion
Baan Slavens (twitter) is a Project Manager on the IBM Social Software Team and is responsible for social mobile solutions.
Cardiff just upgraded to Connections 3.0.1
- What’s Connections being used for?
- Will it be rolled out to students as well as staff?
- Is mobile access in demand? Are Cardiff allowing users to access from mobile?
- Connections mobile clients
What has the take up been like so far?
- What’s coming next?
- Multiple server access
- Profiles integration with address books
- Customisation of apps to fit organisation changes
- Native files access
Connections as a platform for development
- As Social Business develops, do we see Connections as becoming more of a development platform?
- Developers need to understand OpenSocial
- Will we see Connections competing with Portal as an integration point for multiple applications
Connections 220.127.116.11 released
- What’s included?
- New features
- MS IE 9 and Firefox 9 support
- Redhat Linux 6.1 support
- Sametime 8.5.2 Proxy support
- Issue with Chrome duplicate headers also fixed 🙂
- Forums/Posts configuration etc
- Was the ‘Super Community admin view’feature incorporated in this release?
- How is it installed?
- New Update Installer required
- Should all customers upgrade?
Connections plugin for Windows Explorer released
- What does it do?
- How is it installed/deployed?
- How does it compare with the Notes plugin for Files?
- Can you upload multiple files?
- Does it obey quotas etc?
- Can you have multiple Connections servers configured?
- drag and drop of files into Connections files
- Video by Luis Benitez
Connections 4 was previewed at Lotusphere 2012
- What are the highlights?
- When will it be available?
- Which features are you most excited about?
- Veeam. Best virtual backup and replication solution on the market. And sold by STS 🙂
- Open documents in Connections app on the iOS platform by pressing and holding attachments.
- Mac users, use the files plug-in for Notes to drag and share files from your machine to Connections.
- If you are interested in Social Business business, join the Dachis Social Business council. Great discussions on the adoption of Social business!