Recorded on Friday 23rd March 2012. Simon Vaughan, Mac Guidera and Baan Slavens join Darren and I to talk Connections – roll out of a new release at Cardiff University, futures for the mobile apps, fix pack one for 3.0.1 and even Windows Explorer access to your Connections files.
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
Mac Guidera (blog | twitter) is a Project Manager on IBM’s Social Software Team.
Simon Vaughan (twitter) is Deputy IT Director at Cardiff University and an IBM champion
Baan Slavens (twitter) is a Project Manager on the IBM Social Software Team and is responsible for social mobile solutions.
Cardiff just upgraded to Connections 3.0.1
- What’s Connections being used for?
- Will it be rolled out to students as well as staff?
- Is mobile access in demand? Are Cardiff allowing users to access from mobile?
- Connections mobile clients
What has the take up been like so far?
- What’s coming next?
- Multiple server access
- Profiles integration with address books
- Customisation of apps to fit organisation changes
- Native files access
Connections as a platform for development
- As Social Business develops, do we see Connections as becoming more of a development platform?
- Developers need to understand OpenSocial
- Will we see Connections competing with Portal as an integration point for multiple applications
Connections 188.8.131.52 released
- What’s included?
- New features
- MS IE 9 and Firefox 9 support
- Redhat Linux 6.1 support
- Sametime 8.5.2 Proxy support
- Issue with Chrome duplicate headers also fixed 🙂
- Forums/Posts configuration etc
- Was the ‘Super Community admin view’feature incorporated in this release?
- How is it installed?
- New Update Installer required
- Should all customers upgrade?
Connections plugin for Windows Explorer released
- What does it do?
- How is it installed/deployed?
- How does it compare with the Notes plugin for Files?
- Can you upload multiple files?
- Does it obey quotas etc?
- Can you have multiple Connections servers configured?
- drag and drop of files into Connections files
- Video by Luis Benitez
Connections 4 was previewed at Lotusphere 2012
- What are the highlights?
- When will it be available?
- Which features are you most excited about?
- Veeam. Best virtual backup and replication solution on the market. And sold by STS 🙂
- Open documents in Connections app on the iOS platform by pressing and holding attachments.
- Mac users, use the files plug-in for Notes to drag and share files from your machine to Connections.
- If you are interested in Social Business business, join the Dachis Social Business council. Great discussions on the adoption of Social business!
- Social Connections user group, Skype chat and LinkedIn group. New date for Social Connections III – 22nd June. Registration open now! Sponsors wanted.