Episode 91 recorded on Friday 1st March 2012. Mat Newman and Theo Heselmans join Darren and I to discuss the upcoming BLUG and AUSLUG user groups, agenda highlights, key speakers and their related social events. I suffer from some impetuosity regarding upgrading my OS, and hours of bloopers ensue.
Oh yeah, and sorry for the delay in getting this out. Work, life, what balance 😉
[An update since the show – unfortunately I will not be attend BLUG due to family commitments and hence have had to cancel my speaker slot. Apologies to Theo and the team.]
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
Theo Heselmans (blog | twitter | BLUG) is an IBM Champion for Collaboration Solutions. In 1993 he started working as a Notes/Domino consultant with version 3. He delighted (and still does) many customers with custom applications. For 4 years now, he is responsible for BLUG. Theo visits other LUGs regularly, and has been to 17 Lotusphere conferences. He is an avid believer in all things ‘Social’. He loves to talk about Notes, BLUG, Excel (and wine)!<br>
Mat Newman (blog | twitter | company) is the Director of Education for ISW (an IBM Premier business partner in Australia). An IBM Notes user since 1992, Mat is an IBM Champion for Collaboration Solutions, owner of the coolest YELLOW suit around, friends with Lisa Duke, Sharon Bellamy and Femke Goedhart, and lately spending a lot of his time #Mythbusting. As you might notice in the bio pic, Mat is also partial to AS400’s 😉
‘You must be mad!’
- Organisers of two of the biggest Lotus community groups worldwide
- Hundreds of hours of effort given up free of charge
- Stress of running large expensive events at you own risk
- Why do you do it?
- When? March 22-23, Thursday-Friday
- Where? Antwerp, Belgium, and all sessions are in English!
- Keynote? Chris Crummey, Business Unit Executive at IBM and Lead Evangelist for Lotus
- Who are other key speakers?
- Alan Forbes, Bill Bucan, Bill Malchisky, Chris Miller, Devin Olson, Eamon Muldoon, Eileen Fitzgerald, Femke Goedhart, Florian Vogler, Frank van der Linden, Gabriella Davis, Howard Greenberg, Jess Stratton, John Beck, John Head, Kathy Brown, Luis Suarez, Martin Donnelly, Matthew Fyleman, Mikkel Heisterberg, Paul Mooney, Paul Withers, Rene Winkelmeyer, Rob Novak, Sean Cull, Steve McDonagh, Stuart McIntyre, Tim Clark, Tony McGuckin, Ulrich Krause, Warren Elsmore, Theo Heselmans, …
- 17 of which are IBM champions
- Other highlights
- Double sided badges with TwitterID and QR Code
- Large twitter wall #BLUG
- Social panel with Femke Goedhart, Luis Suarez and Stuart McIntyre
- Nerd Girls are repeating their successful Spark Ideas from Lotusphere with other topics/speakers
- Speedsponsoring: 18 booths, so fast talking is required. Paul Mooney hosting, Bill Buchan and Tim Clark are his assistants
- Something new: a developers’quiz: educational and fun guaranteed
- Can people still register?
- What: Lotus Week: 29th – 30th March, 2012
- The View XPages Advanced Seminar 26th-28th March
- AusLUG Admin Jump-Start with Gabriella Davis & Chris Miller, 27th & 28th March
- AusLUG 29th & 30th March
- Where: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Who are we: Some VERY passionate Aussies: Karen Hooper, Adrian Randall, Michael Little, John Stockbridge, Barry Sanders, Scott Beattie, Terry Boyd, Steve Hooper,Tony McPhail
- Keynote: Ed Brill
- Featured Session: Michael Sampson,
- Key Speakers: Walter Adamson, Nick Baldwin, Darren Belford, John Bilson, Dion Boyd, Adam Brown, Paul Calhoun, Andrew Davis, Gabriella Davis, Geoff Dutton, Bob Hallewell, , Mark Hampton, Tony Holder, Karen Hooper, Steve Hooper, Declan Lynch, Russell Maher, Peter May, Chris a/k/a IdoNotes, Christian Petters, Michael Sampson, Ted Stanton, Florian Vogler, Sunny Wan, Steve Wellington, Gary Wickham, Stephan Wissel
- 6 IBM Champions
- Just got some great ideas for the badges – thanks Theo 🙂
- Round 1 of the AFL is immediately following on Friday night featuring the Mighty HAWKS!
- Nerd Girls, TWiL Live from AusLUG, the ‘Social Evening’, and an informal gathering with 100,000 (bragger, your number has to be the biggest 🙂 others on Friday night for the opening round of the AFL, did I mention the Mighty HAWKS
- Oh, and IBM will find out where the Street Party banner from Sunday night’s LS12 welcome reception went to 😉
- Mobile World Conference (MWC) in Baaarchelona (did I pronounce that right?)
From the TweetBag:
- From Ulrich Krause: What is the strongest beer you can get in Belgium?
- Sick of keeping Adobe products and/or Java up to date on Windows systems? Manage Engine Desktop Central 8 to the rescue. Free for 25 machines too! Oh, and it can replace WSUS too if required.
- Also a tip I gave on Twitter, Windows 7 and Vista can use Smart Upgrade for 8.5.2 and earlier.
- The obvious: Come to LUGs: you learn a lot, it’s not expensive (as in Free), and you’ll meet lots of people.
- 2 useful iPhone apps: Tweetbot & i-nigma (=QR reader)
- Yes, it’s a Notes Tip 🙂 If you are compelled to let the world know your feelings on a piece of software dont just say ‘I hate …’Tell us what the problem is so we can help you!
- Teamviewer Desktop for Mac/Linux/Win and apps for iOS and Android, remote control any computer with a http connection on port 80.
- Don’t upgrade your laptop’s OS to a beta version the day before recording a podcast!
- The Collaboration Diner