Our eighth episode, recorded yesterday (Friday 16 July 2010). A round-table discussion of the latest news and topics of debate surrounding the Lotus brand, with a particular focus on Lotus Connections and social software this week.
Stuart McIntyre and Darren Duke.
Chris Lamb (LinkedIn)
Sharon Bellamy (Twitter | Blog) Update: Lovely photo of Sharon preparing to record the podcast!
Adam Brown (Twitter | Blog | Company)
This podcast is 63MB and runs for 68 minutes at 128kps. Enjoy!
* Please note that all views expressed are the participants’ own and do not necessarily represent those of their employer(s).
IBM Named Worldwide Marketshare Leader in Social Platforms Software
- IDC report link
- Congratulations to all those that work on Connections and Quickr
- Why should organisations be interested in who is the market leader?
- What is Connections’ value proposition (and is this changing with time)?
- Who do Chris/Mac see as the main competitors?
- Sharepoint 2010 is with us… Making any inroads?
How will IBM address external collaboration with the Lotus portfolio?
- IBM doesn’t rank on Gartner’s “Externally facing Social Software” quadrant (led by Jive, Lithium, MS and Telligent).
- What is IBM doing in this area?
- Will Connections allow internal and external social collaboration in the future?
- Extranet license – has this been successful? Are many organisations using it?
IBM Social Software and the business partner
- The partner perspective
- 3 of us on the call are BPs and work with Connections and Quickr
- Why have we chosen to do this? What benefits do these technologies have or us, over say, Sharepoint?
- Connections is seen as being very complex, is this really the case?
- What are the opportunities for partners when working with Connections and Quickr?
- Adam’s posts on Portal integration
The customer perspective
- What do organisations gain from using Social computing such as Quickr and Connections?
- Get comments that Connections (and to some extent Quickr) can create ‘messy’ collaboration – how can organisations (and Connections admins) control this?
- Comments from Adam on type of customer’s/organisations showing interest and taking up Connections in Australia.
Connections ‘Next ‘
- What is coming in the next release?
Brief roundup of other stories
- Anyone wearing Old Spice today?
- Best Lotusphere ratings
- Bruce leaving Sharp
- OpenNTF IdeaJam
- IBM makes Firefox default browser (what does this mean for Notes/IE)
- Taking Notes is back
- Sharon: The healthy lifestyle app I use – ShapeUp iPhone or web, coming soon to Nokia and Andriod .. it’s brilliant 🙂
- Adam: We have just released today WildFire 1.4 on OpenNTF. Now supports Mac & Linux as well as a few new features.
- Chris: Don’t try to makeup new metrics to measure ROI on social software, use your existing business measures.
- Darren: BES 5.0 SP 2 is available, as is QuickrD 8.2 FP 13
- Stuart: Public skype chats for Connections and Quickr – contact me to be added!