Episode 70, recorded on Wednesday 21st September 2011. We discuss enterprise architecture, the role Quickr plays in Social Business, new products from SNAPPS, the release of Notes/Domino 8.5.3 and Rob’s appeal for help with a very critical situation….
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
|Paul Hobson (blog | twitter | company) is an innocent bystander. Former Glaciologist and Earth Observation Scientist who fell in to a world of IT through a single Sunday afternoon installing Slackware from 80 3.5”floppies. Also, he does Enterprise Architecture stuff on occasion.|
|Rob Novak (blog | twitter | company) is President of SNAPPS, an Advanced IBM Partner for 14 years providing products, services, hosting, and business process consulting in the collaboration, enterprise content management, mobilization and business intelligence markets. We’re known for doing Quickr work like customization, support, and templates, although that’s really about 1/4 of what we do – lately we’ve been doing Notes client sidebar apps, working with iPhones and iPads, XPages, the works. Everyone on staff is a 15-20 year Lotus nut. We just did announce our first paid product in seven years (since we tend to give everything else away), some modules for Quickr that really enhance the user experience. Rob has 3.99 business degrees, has spoken at most of the industry conferences and user groups on both technical and business topics, and last but not least we – meaning SNAPPS with the amazing co-producers the Turtles in London – produce Collaboration University.|
Paul has moved away from a big IBM customer to one that is more MS-centric
- As Director, Enterprise Architecture at a major Canadian Uni, how do you see the social/collaboration landscape?
- What does an Director of Enterprise Architecture actually do?
- Do IBM products such as Connections and Quickr fit into the category of Enterprise Architecture, or it just large software platforms such as WebSphere, MQ and Portal?
- From the outside, in academia the perception seems to be that free (e.g. Google) wins over paid (IBM) is that always true?
- In your opinion, are large organisations (commercial and academic) getting into Social?
IBM’s focus is on Social Business (and thus Connections?)
- Does Lotus Quickr count as Social Business software?
- How about QuickrJ versus QuickrD?
- What are the use cases where Quickr is a winner?
- New products from SNAPPS?
- Moving back to having the option of ActiveX in new fixpack – how do we feel about this?
Notes/Domino 8.5.3 Release Date set
- October 4th via Ed Brill
- LotusUserGroup webcast
- However indications that there will be licensing changes and new XWork Server license.
- What’s the situation?
- What can people do to help?
Traveler password security. Test it on your CEO’s device before you force out that 6 character iPhone password to all your users.
Wear sunscreen. Brush twice daily. And never, ever try to trick me into thinking you have three Domino servers in a domain when you used three different certifier IDs with the same name. But seriously…FIXPACKS
‘Foster the thinking, not the devotion’. It’s actually something I heard from Mike Rollings at Gartner (nee Burton Group)
Link Facebook Chat with new versions of Skype. So much easier to keep tabs on conversations and contacts in Skype.
[Music this week is by Pomplamoose, taken from the track ‘Centrifuge’. Get it and more from their site at pomplamoose.com or on iTunes!]