Episode 52, recorded Thursday 19th May 2011, discussing a year of this show, Sametime 8.5.2, UKLUG, the Exceptional Web Experience conference, new XPages Application Server license and more…
|Lisa Duke (twitter | company) is Business Development Manager for Simplified Technology Solutions, Inc. (also known as STS), an IBM Lotus business partner specializing in collaboration, mobility, and virtualization. STS also resells IBM System X hardware and related storage.|
This Week in Lotus is a year old:
- Have we enjoyed it?
- What have been the main topics:
- May 2010: LUGs and the launch of the iPad
- June: decline of RIM, Radicati – Notes/Domino to have 266m seats by 2015, Notes App Store
- July: IBM Named Worldwide Marketshare Leader in Social Platforms Software, Lotus Protector, Project Northstar
- August: Death of Google Wave, Directory Independence, Notes/Domino 8.5.2
- September: Quickr 8.5, NLLUG, IBM Customer Experience Suite, a world without email, XPages Extension Library
- October: ExtST, new LotusLive, Symphony 3, virtual conferences, Cognos integration
- November: XPages source control, Connections 3, ILUG, BES Express, Transformer, XPages performance
- December: Social (inside firewall and Twitter), leadup to Lotusphere, Higher Education
- January: Live show, lots of Lotusphere! Sandy Carter
- February: Lotus rebranding, Social Business, Mastering XPages, DDE on the Mac, Design process
- March: Analysts and developers, User Groups (Australia), Business Inteligence and Social software, RAD
- April: WCM renaming, RAD again, IBM Champions, Connections 3.0.1, iWildfire
- May: ISVs, Management of Connections, LotusLive new release
- Highlights of the year:
- Episode 7 – Darren admits to enjoying being Rick Rolled (I think I said I liked Rick Astley)…..
- Episode 6 – Michael Sampson & User Adoption – this is only going to be more important as social software comes into business – I would love to see IT take a lead in bringing in technology and be seen as thought leaders, not as “server janitors”
- Live show at Lotusphere
- Guest Stats
- What did you learn from a year of doing the podcast?
- Lisa – found out about Dogear Nation & have been keeping up on robot news
- Stuart – how many great people there are in this community
- Stuart – how tough it is to keep audio quality high
- Stuart – how many IBMers are willing to reach out
- What surprised you most?
- Stuart & Darren still in shock they got the location of the Lotusphere Party
- What were some of your favourite moments?
- Lisa – Monkchips’ rant on IBM renaming products
- Stuart – Eric and Michael’s discussion on App Stores and Adoption
- Scott Souder
- Mastering XPages
- Running jokes/themes
- Stuart asked Darren to be his co-host because he can pronounce Duke? Stuart getting all non-UK surnames wrong
- Darren panicking about tips
- RIM on the slide
- What do you want to change/do differently in Year 2?
- More people volunteering to be on
- More customers, analysts and journalists
- If you could ask listeners for one favour, what would it be?
- More feedback!!
- Plan for This Week in Lotus at UKLUGOther News:
- Stuart & Lisa presenting end of day Monday at UKLUG on social business – if there are no chairs left in Mary Beth and Mat’s session come see us
- Sametime 8.5.2 released, loses IBM moniker, solves NAT traversal issues
- New Sametime Unified Telephony Lite
- Exceptional Web Experience conference in Orlando
- Shocked at how small compared to Lotusphere
- No major announcements
- Previews of Portal 8
- Ed just announced new XPages Application Server license at DNUG, coming later in the year…
Lisa: If there are managers & line of business people in your office who don’t “get”social, let them know about the Get Social Do Business podcast I host – fairly non-technical discussion of how people are using social tools to transform business
Darren: Matrox M9120 Plus LP graphics card. You can never have enough monitors, this puppy drives 4!
Stuart: Audio Hijack Pro for the Mac $32, free trial available. ‘Record any audio – three simple words to explain Audio Hijack Pro. Record from applications like iTunes, Skype or DVD Player. Record from microphones, Radiosharks and other hardware. If you hear it, you can record it.’Used on This Week in Lotus!