Episode 35, recorded Wednesday 20th and Thursday 21st January 2011, discussing Sandy’s new Sales and Evangelism VP roles, plans for 2011, her involvement in Lotusphere and more. We then move onto a discussion about IBM’s 4Q10 figures, Lotusphere events, the return of the XCast and more…
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
Sandy Carter (blog | twitter) is Vice President, Social Business and Collaboration Solutions Sales and Evangelism, where she is responsible for setting the direction for IBM’s Social Business initiative, working with companies who are becoming Social Businesses, and being the evangelist for the concept and best practices around Social Business.
Kathy Mandelstein (twitter) is currently oversees worldwide marketing programs, web and events in IBM Software Group for the Lotus portfolio of collaboration tools designed to empower people to be more effective, responsive and innovative within the context of the work they do. It includes email, calendar, instant messaging, electronic forms, web conferencing, portals, team spaces, business dashboards, document management, and enterprise social software. Previously Kathy led the IBM Rational marketing team focused on the business value of effective software delivery.
Paul Withers (blog | twitter | company) leads the Domino Development Team at Intec Systems Ltd, an IBM Business Partner in UK. Co-presenting session at Lotusphere XPages: Enter The Dojo, Tuesday 3:30pm.
A two-part episode, first a 20-minute interview with Sandy Carter. We covered:
New role at IBM – VP IBM Social Business and Social Solutions Sales and Evangelism
- ‘IBM Social Business and Social Solutions’? Can you describe what this includes?
- Sales and Evangelism? Wow thats a tough combination…
- Unusual to see a VP focused on Evangelism? Will you continue to blog and tweet in the new role?
- Lotus has seen a good long run of quarterly growth, then a few quarters that have been tough in a generally low market. How do you see 2011 going? (will not ask you directly about Q4 figures, if you want to mention them then great…)
- Will we see the yellow boxing gloves return? 😉 (i.e. will you look to take the fight to the competition)
- Previously (before your role with partners) you were VP Websphere. What differences have you found coming across to Lotus?
- Have you been surprised by the ‘community’aspect of Lotus, or are there similar communities around the other IBM brands?
- What are your expectations for Lotusphere 2011?
- Are you speaking at the OGS or other sessions?
- Looking forward, If you had a message for the Lotus community as we get into 2011, what would it be?
We then spoke to Kathy and Paul, covering:
IBM/Lotus Q4 results
TWiL Live at Lotusphere
- Wednesday 5:45-6:45 in Swan Pelican
- Guests – Kathy Mandelstein, Mary Beth Raven, Bruce Elgort, Paul Mooney, Alan Lepofsky
RAID Explained via water coolers
The XCast relaunches
- First new episode up, talking about Lotusphere (what else!) sessions etc.
- Hosted by David Leedy, Tim Clark and Paul Withers
- David’s XPages Cheatsheet updated – will be available at Lotusphere
- XPages book
Lotus UX Team issued 26 patents in 2010
- You either like patents or you hate them. IBM *loves* them….
- Hopefully we’ll see some improved UI in Lotus products
- Visit UX Lab at LS11(Dolphin Asia 4)
Symphony Fix Pack 1 released
- Unrelated – Quickr Connector for Symphony 3 released
- Supports QuickrD 8.5, QuickrJ 8.5 and ECM 1.1
- Supports Symphony 1.3, 3.0 and Notes embedded (8.5.1 and 8.5.2)
- Win XP, Vista and 7
Connections Administration Tool Now Available
- Much needed GUI for managing Lotus Connections environments
- Produced by TimeToAct group
First tranch of Lotus Awards announced
- Congratulations to winners announced thus far: Silanis, Ascendant, Ascendant, iEnterprises, Trilog Group, Fritz & Macziol, and Polycom; and to finalists Tungle, Applicable, Prolifics, Rigelsoft, Ascendant, GEDYS IntraWare, Brookstone Technologies, EdifiXio, Silanis, GROUP Business Software, iEnterprises, Plantronics, and KMSLab.
Buy the books!
Use the Lotusphere Social Aggregator!
EntwicklerCamp, 21st-23rd Feb in Gelsenkirchen, Germany. Lots of great speakers, Maureen Leland doing keynote, loads of XPages sessions including two from me (XPages Blast, by kind permission of Matt White and Tim Clark, and XPages from a Difference View-point, updated and extended)
Not so much a tip, more a request. Need a SIM card for the US that gives 3G data (no calls) at decent rates, say by buying a bundle of 2GB etc. Any suggestions?