Episode 19, recorded Friday 24th September 2010, discussing the XPages Extension Library, OpenNTF.org and more…
Stuart McIntyre (blog | twitter | company) & Darren Duke (blog | twitter | company)
Niklas Heidloff (blog | twitter) is a developer in the IBM Lotus Domino team and leads IBM’s engagement in OpenNTF.
Phiippe Riand (linkedin) is in charge of new technologies within the Lotus Domino offering. He’s the architect for XPages, a brand new Java based technology provided in the Domino server. It helps reinvigorate Domino Web apps by providing a real Web 2.0 development environment, using the latest technologies.
Tony McGuckin (linkedin) is a software engineer for IBM, based in Dublin, Ireland. He is one of the authors of the forthcoming “Mastering XPages” book.
Paul Withers (blog | twitter | company) leads the Domino Development Team at Intec Systems Ltd, an IBM Business Partner in UK, and fledgling contributor to OpenNTF.
Addition of the XPages Extension Library to OpenNTF (XPagesBlog, SlideShare, OpenNTF Blog)
- What is it?
- Who wrote it? Why?
- Why has it been added to OpenNTF rather than to the product?
- What version of Notes/Domino is required?
- Is it for developing for the Web, the client or both?
- Is there any training available? Videos – modal dialog, value picker – 9 videos planned. 70 page document (work in progress)
- Is IBM offering any support for the library?
- Can developers extend/edit the library?
- (From Matt White) How can we include the Extension Library into our templates so that we can distribute NTFs without requiring server change?
- What if users want new features?
- What does this mean for XPages as a development environment?
- What is planned for the future?
Other XPages news
- BLUG session with Nathan Freeman (Tuesday, October 26th, BLUG is having their next evening meeting in Brussels. Nathan T. Freeman is coming to demonstrate the cool FREE Extensions to XPages they are developing together with IBM. Register via the BLUG website)
- Mastering xPages book by Martin Donnelly, Mark Wallace and Tony McGuckin
- Announcement on twitter by LotusEducation of Developing IBM Lotus Domino 8.5.2 Applications: Intermediate XPage Design courses.
- Lotus Developer Summit announced by Bilal Jaffery and Ed Brill.
- What’s the current status? (number of contributions, licensing, downloads etc.)
- What’s happening in the future?
IBM’s win at Singapore Airlines – Ed Brill’s post
- Upgrade of Notes/Domino to 8.5 – press release
- Plus Connections, Quickr and more
IBM could be bigger than Facebook – Luis Benitez post
- Fast Company article ‘Fathoming a new product from IBM via a launch event is like trying to understand the ocean by watching a wave. Nonetheless that was my task, swimming through the presentations and ultimately landing an interview with Jeffrey Schick, IBM’s VP of Social Software. Drenched in the vision Schick shared for the IBM Customer Experience Suite, it occurred to me that IBM could end up being more important to the business use and monetization of social media than Facebook.’
- What does the article mean? Is IBM cool now? 😉
- London event was run Tuesday-Thursday
- Great success
- Louis Richardson gave keynote
- Good attendance and fine presentations
- Chicago event next week
Lotusphere Registration has opened
- Early bird offers
- Only Dolphin and Swan offered as hotels – why?
- When will abstracts open?
- Lotusphere Blog is back
Darren: Domino 8.5.2 supports Windows 2008 R2 – see the 8.5.2 system requirements doc – and what happened to “tech notes”?
Niklas: PhoneGap (http://www.phonegap.com/) is an open source project to build mobile apps via web application development techniques and deploy them as ‘native’apps to the various mobile devices.
Philippe: LoLA conference next week
Tony: Dynamic Page Include XPage control
- Found in the Ext.lib controls…
- Allows you to dynamically swap in / out parts of an XPage
- Optimizes the size of the XPage component tree on the server and reduces processing
- Uses URL hashing technique + Ajax to update the page content
- Real enabler for in-context switching!
Paul: Locating the same document in a different view in Notes Client. Highlight a document in a view, hold down Ctrl as you switch view, will open the new view with the same document selected (as long as the document is in that view)
Stuart: WildFire (on OpenNTF) – WildFire is a Lotus Notes 8.5 Sidebar Application to Update Status’s across a wide range of Social Networks including Sametime, Connections, Socialtext, Facebook, GTalk, PingFm, Plurk, Tumblr, Twitter, WordPress and more. Written by Australian BP, ISW. Adam Brown was on the podcast in episode 8.